Nuvei’s allows you to create and manage recurring charges for products and services that you offer to your customers, in the following ways:
- The Nuvei Rebilling Service – The Nuvei system is responsible for storing and managing the membership details and scheduling the recurring charges.
Recurring Payments via REST – You can use our REST API
/paymentmethod to manage rebilling membership and to initiate recurring charges.
Nuvei’s rebilling service allows you to create and manage recurring charges for products and services that you offer to your customers. It allows you to set payment plans and subscriptions which are flexible, and allow you to modify, extend, or cancel them.
The service is available through our API, Cashier, and Control Panel platforms via API methods.
- (Rebilling) Plan – The base recurring-payment plan offered by a merchant containing subscription conditions.
- Subscription – The actual recurring payment contract set up (and perhaps customized) for a specific customer, to pay for goods and services.
- Customer – The customer can be registered for one or more subscriptions.
- The customer must provide an active payment method that can be used for the duration of the subscription.
- In order to submit future subscription payments on behalf of the customer, Nuvei stores the customer’s payment method details in a user payment option (UPO) record. A UPO is a token representing a customer’s payment method.
A UPO is created in a number of ways, for example:
- A UPO is automatically created as part of the Cashier “Create a Rebilling subscription” process.
- You can use a Nuvei API method to create a UPO by providing:
- For cards: The card’s full payment details including CVV2
- For APMs (such as PayPal and Google Pay): The APM’s details.
- The initial subscription payment containing the UPO is sent for processing (on the gateway) on the “initial payment date”.
- Recurring payment requests are sent to an acquirer for processing, according to the subscription’s conditions. These requests must be flagged as “rebilling payments” and contain a UPO, but do not require a CVV2.
Subscriptions are based on a rebilling plan template which can either be provided by Nuvei or created by you.
You can create, edit, and delete Rebilling plan templates from our CPanel, or by using our REST API methods.
When creating subscriptions, you must specify the
planId of the particular rebilling plan template that you wish to apply.
Individual subscriptions can be created in either of these ways:
Using the REST API method:
- You can create a subscription using previously stored payment method details (UPO).
- The parameters of the subscription are defaulted from the Rebilling plan which you choose as template for the subscription. However, you can override any of these parameters dynamically during the creation of the subscription.
Redirecting the customer to the Nuvei Payment Page:
- The customer is presented with the details of a subscription plan.
- They can enter their payment method details or choose a previously saved payment method (UPO).
Subscriptions can be modified or cancelled via our Control Panel, or via our REST API methods.
In order to apply a particular rebilling plan template in a Cashier call, see how the
planId (marked in red) is included in the sample URL below:
To ensure a smooth subscription experience for both merchants and customers, Nuvei has included a “retry mechanism” in the rebilling service. If a recurring payment is declined, the merchant is notified via a Direct Merchant Notification (DMN) callback and the retry mechanism is initiated:
- The first retry is executed 72 hours after the initial decline. If this attempt fails, the merchant is once again notified about the declined payment.
- A second retry is executed 72 hours after the second decline. If this retry also fails, the merchant is notified with a notification about the declined payment.
- A third and final retry is executed 72 hours after the third decline (72×3=216 hours after the initial decline).
If the final retry fails, the subscription is cancelled and the merchant is notified accordingly, with a notification indicating the cancellation of the subscription.
Nuvei sends you DMN notifications for various events, for example:
Re-try Subscription Payment DMN notification is sent when the transaction status is
Subscription Cancelled DMN notification is sent when the subscription status changes to
- Send the initial recurring
/paymentrequest and include the
"isRebilling":"0"parameter, to indicate that this is the initial transaction.
- For subsequent recurring payments, send
/paymentrequests that include the
"isRebilling":"1"parameter, to indicate that it is a subsequent transaction.
- Subsequent recurring
/paymentrequests must include a
relatedTransactionIdparameter (from the initial transaction).
- They can be performed using either:
- Subsequent recurring